Financial Assistance

Residents of Plainwell, Otsego and Martin School Districts

We assist clients financially with critical temporary needs in the areas of:

  • Rental assistance (first month’s rent, security deposit, back rent, eviction)

  • Utility shut-offs or payments (preventing loss of utilities or loss of winter protection plan, fuel oil or propane)

  • Medical payment assistance (doctor visits, vision, dental, some prescriptions)

  • Prescription Costs (no pain, narcotic or controlled substances, no exceptions)

  • Landlord/Utility Vendor Mediation

  • Referral service to other human services agencies in Allegan County

How do I get help?

When you first contact Christian Neighbors, you will come to our offices and talk to a case manager who will ask some questions about how many people there are in your family, how much money you make and what your current expenses are. You will be asked about any special circumstances that you are going through. We will talk to you about what things you have already tried to do to help yourself and find out what assistance you might be receiving from other sources.

Bring the following items during the hours listed below, arrive at least 1/2 hour before closing:
  • photo id showing your current address

  • proof of income for each person in the home who has income (pay stubs, social security award letters, unemployment benefits, child support. etc)

  • social security cards for each person in the home (or a legal document with social security numbers on it)

  • birth dates for each person in the home

  • depending on what you need help with, bring your shut off notice, DHS decision notice, letter from your landlord, eviction notice, etc.

State Emergency Relief Forms (SER)

DHHS requires the use of the MI Bridges web site for requesting state emergency relief (SER). Christian Neighbors is a Community Navigation partner with DHHS.  We can help you complete the SER application and we can fax any supporting documentation to DHHS for you.  Always follow-up with your DHHS case worker to make sure they received all necessary items. Have questions? Call 269-685-4166 ext. 102

Call 2-1-1 for assistance if you are not in our service area.